Saturday, February 6, 2016

I was searching for something different (and special) to do for the grandkids for Valentine's Day when I came across a site that used a deck of ordinary playing cards, and it showed how you could turn it into a little booklet called "52 Things I Love About You" http://niftymom.com/2011/11/52-love-you-ideas-tips/.  I was intrigued, so I pursued it further and although most of them were about adults and relationships it was easy enough to put my own spin on it and gear it towards grandchildren (definitely using some of their wording though to get ideas).  You use a deck of cards (I used a different coloured deck of cards for each grandchild), punch two holes in the side of each card and use binder rings (can get at a craft store) to hold the deck together or you can use ribbon...you can even use little eyelets to connect the binder rings to the cards for ease of turning the cards one by one.   Below, is what I wrote for the 52 things.  I printed these off individually and glue-sticked them to each card in the deck.  I used the Joker cards for the front and back cover and I put a small picture of each of them on the front of their deck of cards under the wording "52 Reasons Grannie Loves You".  I'm visiting them shortly after Valentine's Day, so will wait and give it to them then.  I always like to bring them a little something and I know they like when I make them things.  I think they will like it, but I'll have to wait and see. 
NOTE:  I think I will also get them some other cards that they can play with, i.e., Crazy Eights, Go Fish, etc., so they are not as apt to use these cards for everyday card playing, but if they do decided to do that, it's okay too (I have saved the wording for the cards so I can reproduce it at anytime).

52 Reasons Grannie Loves You
  1. You make me smile
  2. You make me laugh
  3. You make me beautiful cards
  4. You draw me great pictures
  5. You help me find things
  6. You don’t care what I look like, even if I’m wearing my housecoat and my hair is sticking up
  7. You do crafts with me
  8. You like to have fun
  9. You write stories with me
  10. You act silly sometimes
  11. You love your family
  12. You talk to me on Skype
  13. You cuddle up to me when I visit
  14. You tell me you miss me when we are not together
  15. You look concerned when I cry
  16. You listen to the stories I write you
  17. You send me messages with happy faces
  18. You hug me when you want to
  19. You hug me when I want you to
  20. You like the poems I write for you
  21. You understand that sometimes I have happy cries and sometimes I have sad cries
  22. You listen to me when I’m talking to you
  23. You are amazing
  24. You kiss me when you want to
  25. You kiss me when I want you to
  26. You hold my hand when we are walking
  27. You are helpful
  28. You surprise me sometimes
  29. You care about animals and especially your pets
  30. You are a good friend to others
  31. You write me notes
  32. You think your farts are funny
  33. You like to be goofy and dance around
  34. You are honest
  35. You do your chores and don’t complain (much)
  36. You like to make funny faces
  37. You like to use your imagination
  38. You like to try new games
  39. You like to watch movies
  40. You teach me new games to play
  41. You care about others
  42. You are polite
  43. You are kind
  44. You always try your best
  45. You are brave when you need to be
  46. You are not mean to people
  47. You understand that everyone is different and that’s okay
  48. You like yourself
  49. You respect your parents
  50. You are wonderful
  51. Because you are my grandchild
  52. Because I know you love me

No comments:

Post a Comment